Sunday, May 5, 2013

Measuring Success

"Measuring Success" by Renee Loth

Loth devised a grid system to measure success. She subdivided sections, labeled health and love along with wealth and fame, equaling all four towards success. She found out measuring success is somewhat difficult to measure because success is defined differently by different people, and the definitions of success are shifting along with our changing values.

The achievements I've made along my way as Loth say's "Keeps us in a permanent state of wanting more." I can connect this with my own lifetime achievements. Staring out with getting my first CPR certification. The excitement and praise I received from other's in my class made me want more. I soon found myself enrolled in college taking the first res-ponder class, then emergency medical technician course, then fire fighter I, the list goes on and on. The drive to success keeps us focused on the future.

 Loth was right, I was craving more and more higher achievements thinking I would be rewarded with wealth and fame. I thought with all my education and continuing education, learning to fly a plane would have me in a position where others would want me, making me a valuable part of something. I never calculated joy, love, or happiness into my values of success. I calculated the joy, love and happiness after I didn't have all the other things above anymore. This isn't to say I didn't love what I was doing, I miss my 20 year career, I worked so very hard for it. I found that the wealth and fame didn't add up to the beautiful values of joy spending time home with my boy's, or the happiness i find myself in spending time with my grandchildren, or the love and passion I have for my Art, There's was no comparison.

2 comments:

  1. Can you imagine having to plan life like a mathematical equation.

    I would honestly give up with the change of signs(+/-) and just round everything up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading David's blog on gender roles, and I would like to know what was like being a firefighter.

    ReplyDelete